Saturday, June 19, 2010

Balmorhea Sounds

Stretched out on my back in the grass beside San Solomon Springs pool in Balmorhea State Park, I take in the world's biggest breath and then let out the world's biggest sigh. I pull my straw hat down over my face and close my eyes. I take inventory of the sounds:
  • the hum of vehicles on the highway beyond the park
  • the splish-splash of kicking legs
  • the relentless winding up and fading out of harmonizing locusts
  • birds querying and answering amidst the trees
  • the hurried patter of wet feet, the boing-yoing-yoing of a spring board and a bass thump-splash as the fat kid hits the water (I peeked.)
  • "If you want to clear your mask, honey, just press the top, lift the bottom and blow out your nose ... that's it! You did it!"
  • the shuffling of ice in a cooler
  • the steady slap, slap, slap of a football being tossed around
I open my eyes, and through my loosely woven straw hat I see a bird soaring directly overhead. I shut one eye to focus and I watch her drift from one straw picture frame into the next until she disappears from my sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment